Listening Unit 12 Lớp 12 Trang 132
UNIT 12: WATER SPORTS
Before you listen
* Theo nhóm, xem tranh và cho biết môn thể thao dưới nước này được chơi:
• trong hồ hay dưới biển (in a swimming pool)
• có thiết bị hay không (with or without equipment)
• theo cá nhân hay theo đội (in a team or individually)
* Nghe và lặp lại.
Synchronized swimming Chicago Teacher’s College
Annette Lellerman Wright Junior College
Katherine Curtis Amateur Athletic Union.
While you listen
Task 1. Nghe một phụ nữ nói về môn bơi nghệ thuật và chọn đáp án đúng cho mỗi câu.
1. B 2. C 3. A 4. B 5. A
The great Australian swimmer, Annette Lellerman planted the first seed of what was to become synchronized swimming when she performed water ballet in a glass tank in New York in 1907.
Katherine Curtis, an American woman, was very inspired by the new water sport and tried to seek for the addition of the synchronized swimming to the school’s physical education for women. In 1923 she founded a water ballet club and sixty of her swimmers attracted national and international publicity.
The sport quickly became popular among young women in the Chicago area and Curtis developed rules for competition, based essentially on the scoring methods used in gymnastics and diving.
The first recorded competition was held on May 27, 1939, between Chicago Teacher’s College coached by Curtis and Wright Junior College, also in Chicago.
Shortly afterward, synchronized swimming received another major publicity when the Association of the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) was founded on March 1, 1940. The following year, the AAU officially accepted synchronized swimming as a competitive sport for team events. In 1946 the first formal national championships were conducted by the AAU.
Synchronized swimming became an Olympic event at the Los Angeles Games in 1984.
Task 2. Nghe lại và trả lời câu hỏi.
1. The great Australian swimmer, Annette Lellerman did.
2. She founded a water ballet club in 1923.
3. Curtis did.
4. It received major publicity when AAU was founded on March 1, 1940.
5. It became an Olympic event at the Los Angeles Games in 1984.
After you listen
Theo nhóm, em hãy nói về lịch sử môn bơi nghệ thuật theo các mốc thời gian sau:
1907 1923 1946 1984
Tham khảo đáp án các phần sau: