Listening Unit 7 Lớp 12 Trang 79
UNIT 7: ECONOMIC REFORMS
Before you listen
Theo cặp, các em thảo luận câu hỏi: “Em có nghĩ là ma túy phải bị cấm sử dụng không? Tại sao? (Không?) ”
* Nghe và lặp lại:
Tango discourage drug-taker
rationally ruin solution
unfortunately measures islanders
While you listen
Task 1. Nghe đoạn băng về người dân ở đào Tango và cho biết các câu sau là đúng hay sai.
1.F 2. F 3. T 4. T 5. F
6. F 7. T 8. T 9. F
The inhabitants of Tango, a small island in the Atlantic Ocean, discovered a plant which contained a powerful drug. They grew the plant all over the island and they took the drug every day. This made it more difficult for them to think rationally - it stopped them worrying about the future and enabled them to forget all their problems. At the same time, it made it much easier for them to relax and enjoy themselves. And because of the drug, the whole population of the island stopped working and spent all their time singing and dancing and looking at the sea.
Unfortunately this had very bad effects on the country’s economy. The workers and farmers became lazy, the children did not want to go to school and the whole population began to run short of food. This, however, did not discourage people from taking the drug. The Prime Minister made speeches on the TV warning them about the drug, but nobody took any notice, and before long the economy of the country was in ruins. This forced the Government to take measures. They introduced a law to make the drug illegal. But that only made the situation worse. The law couldn’t prevent people from taking the drug. On the contrary, the fact that the drug was illegal encouraged people to take it more. They put the drug-takers into prison. But this did not have any effect, there were not enough prisons for them. Eventually, the Government found a solution: they exported the drug to other countries. This saved the islanders from having to work more than one day a week, and allowed them to spend the rest of their time sitting in the sun without any care in the world.
Task 2. Nghe lại và trả lời các câu hỏi sau.
1. Người dân đảo Tango khám phá ra gì?
2. Họ làm gì với cây ấy?
3. Những hậu quả xấu mà thuốc ấy gây ra là gì?
4. Chính quyền đã áp dụng nhừng biện pháp nào?
5. Cuối cùng chính quyền đảo Tango quyết định làm gì?
Đáp án gợi ý.
1. They discovered a plant which contained a powerful drug.
2. They grew it all over the island.
3. The negative effects the drug brought about were: (i) workers and farmers became lazy, (ii) children did not want to go to school, and (iii) the whole population began to run short of food.
4. The Government took three measures: (i) introduced a law to make the drug illegal, (ii) put the drug-takers into prison, and (iii) exported the drug to other countries.
5. Eventually they decided to export the drug to other countries.
After you listen
Theo nhóm, các em thảo luận câu hỏi: Do vou think that the Government of Tango's decision to export the drug to other countries was a better solution? Why / Whv not?".
Tham khảo đáp án các phần sau: