Speaking Unit 2 Lớp 12 Trang 22
UNIT 2: CULTURAL DIVERSITY
Task 1. Theo cặp, các em hãy bày tỏ quan điểm của mình qua cách dùng các câu mẫu sử dụng từ / nhóm từ cho sẵn trong khung.
1. A. I think it's a good idea to have three or four generations living together under one roof. They can help one another a lot.
B. I don't agree. It's been said there's a “generation Hap” between the old and the young. Therefore, there may usually be conflicts among family members. In some countries, specially in developing countries, old-aeed people like to live in a nursing homes, where they can lead independent lives.
2. C. In my opinion, it's obvious a happy marriage should he based on love, the true love, because love is the prerequisite for the family happiness. Only the true love can bring about forgiveness and sacrifice.
D. That's true. It’s love that joins a man with a woman together.
3. E. I don’t think it's a good idea that love can be supposed to follow the marriage. It's an obsolete thought. Everyone should have a right to make decisions for his / her own, especially the one relating to his /her personal life. In the other hand, he / she determines and chooses his / her spouse freely. We love something whenever we know and understand it well. The more we know (something), the more we like (it).
F. That’s my thought, too. A happy marriage should he built on love.
4. G. I think it's OK. Holding one's hands is a way to express one’s feelings or love, especially the intimacy.
H. I agree with you. How about kissing each other in public?
G. Personally, it’s not our traditional culture. Our personal feelings may not be performed in public. I mean in front of other people, except for appropriate or necessary circumstances.
Task 2. Theo cặp, các em đọc các ý cho sẵn về một sổ điểu khá điên hình của văn hóa Hoa Kì và thảo luận đê tìm ra những khác biệt về các nét văn hóa Việt Nam tương ứng sau đó ghi vào cột tương ứng trong bảng.
Đáp án gợi ý.
Two generations (parents and children) live in a home.
• Old-aged parents live in nursing homes.
• It is not polite to ask questions about age, marriage and salary.
• Americans can greet anyone in the family first.
• Groceries are bought once a week.
• Christmas and New Year holidays are the most important.
• Americans celebrate birthdays and give presents at birthday parties.
Children sleep in their own bedrooms.
Three or sometimes four generations live under one roof
Elders live with children and are taken care by their sons.
Asking about age, marriage and salary is acceptable.
A Vietnamese greets the head of the family or an older person
first, then the younger ones. Groceries are bought every day.
Tet (Lunar New Year) is the most important. Vietnamese celebrate
death days. They prepare meal and invite their relatives to get together
and talk about respect of the dead person.
Children often sleep with their parents.
Task 3. Theo nhóm, các em nói sự tương đồng và khác biệt trong các nét văn hóa điển hình giữa Việt Nam và Hoa Kì. HS có thế sử dụng các ý đã thảo luận ở bài tập 2.
A. I think there are various differences between Vietnamese and American cultures.
B. For example ?
C. Well. In the United States, usually only two generations (parents and children) live under one roof. Meanwhile in Viet Nam you can see three or more generations living in the same home.
D. A different feature between two cultures is old-aged Americans often live in nursing homes, but Vietnamese old people usually live with their children or grandchildren.
A. In America, asking about age, salary and religion is considered impolite, but it’s OK or acceptable in Viet Nam. This custom, however, is also kept by some Vietnamese people, especially among young citydwellers.
B. About greetings, in the US anyone can greet the others in the family first, but in Viet Nam young or inferior people must greet the old or superior first.
C. Christmas and New Year are the most important holidays in America, but in Viet Nam only Lunar New Year is the most important.
D. Americans usually buy groceries or go shopping at weekends, but Vietnamese people can buy groceries or things at any time they need or want. I think it depends on lifestyle and family activities.
A. About the ways of expressing love or sentiments, Americans can kiss or embrace each other in public, but this is considered unpleasant to eyes in Viet Nam.
B. Birthdays or wedding anniversaries are usually celebrated in American families; they are considered important family celebrations . In Viet Nam we also see this custom, but only in young or rich families.
C. One more difference in two cultures: American children sleep in their own rooms, meanwhile Vietnamese parents let their children sleep with them, especially small children.
Tham khảo đáp án các phần sau: